The Community Center School was constructed in 1929 by the B. F. Goodrich Company and served the fifth through seventh grades. After graduation from here, students moved on to R. E. Lee Institute. The school was a popular place for community gatherings, band concerts, and other entertainments. The building, which was being used as a church, burned during the early morning hours of August 17, 2009.
We had a request for photographs of several schools. This is photograph of West Village School; it is a scan of a photograph from the Gordon Holstun Collection (former city and county superintendent). The B. F. Goodrich Company built the school in 1929. It opened with an enrollment of 220 pupils in the first four grades. West Village was administered by the Thomaston public school system. (Currently, the school is now the West Village Retirement Community.)