The Community Center School was constructed in 1929 by the B. F. Goodrich Company and served the fifth through seventh grades. After graduation from here, students moved on to R. E. Lee Institute. The school was a popular place for community gatherings, band concerts, and other entertainments. The building, which was being used as a church, burned during the early morning hours of August 17, 2009.
We had a request for photographs of several schools. This is photograph of West Village School; it is a scan of a photograph from the Gordon Holstun Collection (former city and county superintendent). The B. F. Goodrich Company built the school in 1929. It opened with an enrollment of 220 pupils in the first four grades. West Village was administered by the Thomaston public school system. (Currently, the school is now the West Village Retirement Community.)
Photographs by Ellen Tew: Destination Downtown Tour, Friday, April 24, 2015 6:30 p.m. tour with Thomaston-Upson Archives Director Penny Cliff. These photographs are from the last of three tours of the history of downtown. The tours were a part of a series of events celebrating Georgia Cities Week/Make Thomaston Shine. The City of Thomaston sponsored the tours and paid for the T-Shirts. Look for upcoming tours.
Remembering the tragic and world-changing events which happened in April, Dwain Penn has created the Thomaston-Upson Archives April display. Included in the display are: the sinking of the Titanic (April 15, 1912); the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (April 4, 1968); the death of President Franklin D. Roosevelt (April 12, 1945); the bombardment of Fort Sumter, SC by Confederates (April 12, 1861); the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln (April 15, 1865); and the surrender of General Robert E. Lee of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Lt. General Ulysses S. Grand at Appomattox, Virginia (April 9, 1865).